What causes blood in stool after colon surgery?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Had colon cancer surgery 6 weeks ago. Had colon resection. Had about 12" of my sigmoid colon removed. T3 N0 M0 .... stage 2A .
Still having bleeding in stool after 6 weeks. I feel alright. I have a good appetite. I have gained all my weight back. I walk ever day. Feeling stronger. I do have a lot of constipation. What are possible causes for blood in the stool?
What can be done to stop the blood in my stool?
-XXXX
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. K. Harish 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to be a cause for worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I do not have the details. But it is possible that intestinal staplers might be used at surgery. You also complain of constipation and that could be the cause. In that case, the circular staples usually fall off after 15-20 days and there could be bleed at that time.

This is 6 weeks since surgery. Please check for piles or fissure. If you have had a colonoscopy done prior to surgery (which most probably would be done) I do not think there is any reason for anxiety.

There need not be any anxiety for one or two episodes unless they are of large quantities. If the bleed persists after a couple of days, please get back to your doctor for evaluation.