What causes blood in stools while having diverticulitis?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi , I have diverticulitis and I've been having bloody stools for over 15 days . I went to the ER a couple of days ago , my blood levels were good , no infection, but the blood is very scary to me , not sure how to stop it
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go to the nearest hospital and get a colonoscopy done,for treating bleed we have to find out the source of blood initially and magnitude of problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
To treat bleeding we have to initially find out the part from, which the blood is coming. The sigmoid colon is the organ most commonly affected by diverticulitis.While diverticula(small pouches) can form anywhere along your digestive or gastrointestinal tract, most diverticula form in the narrowest part of the large intestine, the sigmoid colon.The sigmoid colon is the part of your large intestine that connects your descending colon to your rectum.your colon is also lined with soft tissue known as gastrointestinal mucosa. Diverticula form in the colon when this soft tissue layer pushes through the outer, muscular layer, forming a bulge on the outside of the intestine..As the narrowest segment of the large intestine, and the segment closest to the rectum the sigmoid colon is often subject to the straining and pressure increases that can weaken the colonic muscles over time specially when you have diverticulitis(means that these pouches are intruded by bacterias).One of the diverticulitis complications that can arise from an advanced case of the condition is known as a perforated colon. This occurs when severe inflammation or infection of a diverticulum causes the diverticular wall to rupture or tear.In such cases blood is lost from perforated site and is always seen in stools.So initially tests should be done to rule out site of bleeding and to figure out if bleeding is due to perforation or severe mucosal damage in diverticula's.

Tests recommended are-
Flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy -We can visualize the diverticula's directly and site of perforation can be localised.

CT scan of abdomen can bedone(non invasive test and would make picture clear).
Supplements, such as glutamine , fish oil (high in omega-3 fatty acids), flaxseed, AND probiotics (which help to maintain intestinal health) should be taken daily.

You should visit the nearest hospital considering the severity of infection antibiotic therapy can be given parentrally(i.v) for 14 days.

Hope i answered your query with proper explaination.
In case you have any other query feel free to ask i would be happy to help.

Follow up with reports.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
I did go 4 days ago , thry said my blood levels are ok and sent me home . Then i went to see a GI and he said its ok and he gave me a prescttion to have a CT scan done
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for a CT scan.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
As already suggested by me a Ct should be done initially to rule out the cause and site of bleeding.Unless we know the cause and site of bleeding we can't treat it.
As blood parameters are normal there is no need to panic right now.Continue taking antibiotics and follow up with reports of CT scan.

Hope i answered your query well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 19 hours later
Hi , i went to the ER today , my blood tests were good , the dr prescribed me a laxatives and suppositories , he says its from the hemeroids . I took one of the laxatives and noticed the blood was a lot less today . I havent used the suppositories yet , the had to be ordered and will get them tomorow
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discuss all points with your gastro.Early aggresive treatment is very effective

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
As hemorrhoid is suspected i would like to give you an idea about various treatments available so that you can discuss things with your gastroenterologist on the day of appointment.
1)Conservative management
Syp. Lactulose 10-15ml should be taken once daily before going to bed. It is one of the most frequently used laxatives, tolerated very well by patients in long terms with minimal side effects.

2) Use a combination containing contains Calcium Dobesilate, Hydrocortisone, Lignocaine, and Zinc. It will provide much better relief marketed as brand name Prep .H

3) Request your gastroenterologist to prescribe you with oral Calcium Dobesilate-Doxium therapy for 3 months. Initially twice daily for 21 days followed by once daily for 10 weeks. Trials have shown that EARLY 3-month therapy can cause shrinkage of Hemorrhoids in almost 60% cases.

4) Metamucil/Fybrogel to your regimen. It's a natural laxative containing husk. It absorbs water from the intestine and swells up making passage of stool easy and add bulk to stool.

5)A probiotic should also be taken regularly with these medicines. Probiotic improves overall digestion and relieves constipation.

However, if not relieved even after 3 months of proceed for Rubber bands ligation- inexpensive and are easy to deploy. It's a daycare procedure usually done under local anesthesia. The success rate varies from about 70-80%.

Strict lifestyle modification should be followed along with medications-

Take simple organic and vegetarian home cooked low-fat food for few days.
Avoid alcohol, smoking aerated beverages, junk food like pizza burger etc.

Take lots of probiotic rich food like yogurt.
Increase your fiber intake take oats, wheat, barley, vegetable and fruit like Pear, apple, and oranges.

No aerated beverages.
Take fiber containing easily digestible food.
Avoid red meat.
Drink a glass of lukewarm water before going to the washroom in morning.
Do you suffer from constipation also?
Please reply as in that case i would suggest you things which can be very helpful in constipation also.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 hours later
Hi Dr. , the suppositories seem to be helping , the blood is alot less . I did talk to and got calcium vitamins .
My only concern now is that i still feel exausted and tired , i dont want yo do anything besides stay home , I feel like even taking a shower is a chore . What can i do to get more energy , is excersice ok , should i walk , i dont even drive anymore . I dont feel like im back to myself and im starting to think that hopeing for that is a dream now . Will i ever be back to how i was
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Iron-deficiency anemia and other forms of anemia are usually more common in patients with. However, these are a cause of chronic low energy and fatigue. Low iron levels in men are most common cause of extreme lethargy fatigue lassitude.Iron-deficiency anemia and other forms of anemia are usually more common in women than men. However, these are a cause of chronic low energy and fatigue.
Suggestions-
Total iron binding capacity.
Serum iron levels.
Serum ferritin.
Serum transferrin.
Peripheral smaer for blood
Serum viatamin B level.

An antioxidant capsule with good quality multivitamin should be started daily.
Please attach your blood reports.
Whats the level of your hemoglobin?
How is your appetite?
Do you take a balanced diet carbohydrate:protein:lipid 40:40:20?
How are your food habits?
are you physically active?

Please attach report of your tests.

Waiting.

Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 hours later
Im eating but not very well due to not being able to eat things i like . I drink alot of water , and have no pain , i only have mild discomfort on my lower left side not actual pain . Im not used to this , i was a very active person , this slugish feeling is hard fo me . I want my life back but i dont know how r
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
You will get your life back don't worry.But initially you have to go for investigations suggested previously.See a doctor judges a patient by history(what patient says) and confirms the diagnosis by investigtion's.
Kindly go through the investigations suggested above.Once we have a proper and proved diagnosis with us it will hardly take few weeks for you to be perfectly normal again.

Frankly speaking problem is that we started with diverticulitis and ended up in hemorrhoid(without any proper investigation). Treatment of every gut condition is different so initially get yourself investigated properly(under a doctor who listens to you).
All tests suggested by me are just basic tests.A CT scan to rule out possibility of diverticulitis or hemorrhoids and tests for iron deficiency anemia.
Follow up with reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist