Can stool softners help cure fecal impaction while discontinuing a liquid diet?

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Is it okay to take a stool softner after coming off a liquid diet if you suspect hernias i also have significant diverticulosis in the sigmoid colon.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it would be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
As per your query yes taking a stool softner is a good idea however a laxative would be better.Laxative apart from making stool soft also help in expulsion of stools out of rectal canal therefore you need not to strain during bowel moments(Hence helpful for hernia also).

Our body is like a machine which needs time to settle from one change to another as you have switched over to normal diet from liquid on stool softner laxative would help your intestines to push digested food easily.Hence would be good for you.
You can take lactulose 10 ml once daily with half cup water.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
I am lactose intolerant would suppositories or enemas do because i have tried prunes and sennakot but and i get severe back pain on the left side in to the shoulderblades as if my bowel get trapped or stuck i am resumin food diet slowly tomorrow not sure how proceed XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Yes, initially you can start with fleet enemas and can continue to take lactulose after that.
You can take enema's on as and when required basis.

Follow life style modification along with laxatives and enemas and try to taper the medicines slowly.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 40 minutes later
One more question is sennakot safe with suspected hernia as it is a stimulant would it entrap the colon due to the stimulation
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Sennakot is a mild stimulant and you can take it.
However lactulose is a better and safer choice.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist