What causes constant lower abdominal pain, poor appetite and extreme weight loss?

Question
Constant lower stomach pain--- no appetite -- large weight loss -- more pain after eating-- even just water-- adjusted diet-- no dairy--- no wheat -- maybe some wine-- but not lately
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diverticulitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The abdomen needs to be examined for localizing the pain and/or tenderness in the region. Based on your description, diverticulitis needs to be looked for. Diverticulitis involves inflammation of diverticular pouches due to herniated mucosa of the colonic wall. Rest, clear liquid diet and an antibiotics course such will help in resolution of mild to moderate diverticulitis. Also make sure to avoid NSAID intake. If the weight loss is significant then a sinister cause like malignancy should be ruled out. GI bleed should be worked up and endoscopy can then be planned accordingly in consult with a gastroenterologist.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Follow-up: What causes constant lower abdominal pain, poor appetite and extreme weight loss? 2 hours later
I have an appointment with my doctor next month-- I want to have blood work done-- avid outdoors man -- any advice on the type of blood work test ( lyme disease)-- have had ticks on my body several times after coming out of the woods- both large and small and some were blood in gorged
--already taking insulin for diabetes--I have always asked for extensive blood work
but not very happy with the lack of tests being done-- Is there a name for a specific blood test that would encompass all the different results that I should being looking for? There must be a name for a specific type of blood work!

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

There is no single investigation panel that includes every test. A basic metabolic panel including LFTs and RFTs can be advised along with a complete blood count.
Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test/ lyme serology can be done initially. Treatment can be started without waiting for investigation if a clinical suspicion is there and the area is endemic for Lyme.

Thanks