Suggest treatment for diverticulitis

Question
What can I do or take if I think I have diverticulitis. Had a stay in the hospital for it a few months ago.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
clear fluid diet, antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The treatment varies on whether the symptoms are in keeping with mild or severe diverticultitis.

In mild diverticulitis there may be a change in appetite , cramping pain and a change in bowel habits.

In more severe cases, there may be nausea, vomiting, severe consistent pain, loss of appetite.
Fever may also occur.

In mild cases treatment consists of --(1)clear liquid diet. The diet should only be changed from this when there is improvement of symptoms, which can take 2 to 3 days.
The change should be slow

(2) A course of antibiotics for 7 to 10 days may also be needed as well, this would require a prescription from your GP

In severe diverticulitis, admission may be needed for iv antibiotics and fluids. CT scan may also be required as well to look for complications

A high fiber diet or the use of fiber supplements such as metamucil, benefiber or cetrucil would help prevent recurrence of diverticulitis.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions