Suggest treatment for diverticulitis
clear fluid diet, antibiotics
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The treatment varies on whether the symptoms are in keeping with mild or severe diverticultitis.
In mild diverticulitis there may be a change in appetite , cramping pain and a change in bowel habits.
In more severe cases, there may be nausea, vomiting, severe consistent pain, loss of appetite.
Fever may also occur.
In mild cases treatment consists of --(1)clear liquid diet. The diet should only be changed from this when there is improvement of symptoms, which can take 2 to 3 days.
The change should be slow
(2) A course of antibiotics for 7 to 10 days may also be needed as well, this would require a prescription from your GP
In severe diverticulitis, admission may be needed for iv antibiotics and fluids. CT scan may also be required as well to look for complications
A high fiber diet or the use of fiber supplements such as metamucil, benefiber or cetrucil would help prevent recurrence of diverticulitis.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Persisting diarrhea post treatment history of diverticulitis help
- Is cleocin phosphate used in the treatment of diverticulitis?
- Antibiotics for diverticulitis treatment
- Is smz tmp ds used in the treatment of diverticulitis?
- Treatment and cure for diverticulitis infection
- Treatment and cure for Diverticulitis
- History of diverticulitis suggest diet
- Flagyl treatment for diverticulitis
- Suggest treatment for diverticulitis flare-up with infection
- What is the treatment for diverticulitis