What causes blood in mucus along with cold?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I've noticed for about the past year, whenever I blow my nose there are small streaks of blood in the mucus. I only notice it when I have a cold because that's the only time I blow my nose. I was wondering if this was normal, thanks :)
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is mostly normal!

Detailed Answer:
Dear young man,
Nosebleed is a common side effect of cold and flu. Blowing your nose often, when its blood vessels are already damaged by the infection and inflammation, can cause them to break under the pressure. This is also confirmed by the fact that you have this problem only during periods of cold, and not while you are healthy. Another thing is the amount of blood. I would be more concerned if there was a lot of blood coming out of your nose and if it was hard to stop the bleeding, which is not your case.
I would recommend you to drink a lot of fluids, because this helps you to recover faster in the case of having a cold, and because fluids may dilute the consistency of your mucus, thus making it easier to come out without having to blow your nose very hard.
If you still have problems and you feel like you want to minimize the amount of blood in the mucus, I would recommend you to take a Naphazoline nasal spray. It helps your nose blood vessels to contract, to minimize the amount of mucus and to stop any hemorrhage pretty fast. You can use the spray up to 5 times a day, but no more than five days.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!

Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Eni 36 minutes later
Thank you for a fast reply, this helped a lot thank you!
Answered by Dr. Eni 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad I could help you. Thank you for using Healthcaremagic.com.

Now you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Good luck!
Manoku Eni M.D.