question-icon

What causes bleeding in nose while on Tramadol and Cipro?

Posted on Tue, 15 Mar 2016
Question: I was put on cipro for bacteria in my colon. 1 I'm on tramadol for a bone spur in my keck are they ok to take together. 2 I have had 3 nose bleeds today since starting cipro. This normal?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No, they should not be taken together, either one has to be discontinued

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. It is best not to take both these medications together as they can cause some major side effects, and your doctor can easily substitute either one of them for another (either another antibiotic, or another pain management medication). Especially if you have any neurological history, then this combination can even be life-threatening. Please avoid taking them together, and report to your prescribing doctor.

No, it is not normal for you to have nose bleeds since starting cipro, please discontinue it immediately and report to your doctor.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please also do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan