What causes black patches on the forehead?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi , I have some black patches on forehead from last two years. What are these and what is cure of these?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either melasma or PIH or LPP, apply depigmenting cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Health Care Magic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, Dermatologist.
I have reviewed the attached photographs.

It seems to be either melasma or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) or lichen planus pigmentosus ( LPP).

But the pictures you have uploaded are too close up.
Kindly upload some clearer pictures with a lesser zoom.

This is usually treated with application of depigmenting creams like Hydroquinone 2 percent cream on the black spots at night along with application of sunscreen on the entire face at intervals of 3-4 hours during the day time.

This needs to be continued for at least 10-12 weeks but under the supervision of the doctor.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
ok , pls find some more pics
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like photomelanosis, use depigmenting cream & sunscreen

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have reviewed the newly attached photographs and this is looking like photomelanosis.
It is light induced pigmentation.
I would recommend you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen during the day time at intervals of 3-4 hours and use a cream based on kligman's formula like a cream containing combination hydroquinone, tretinoin and mometasone on the dark patches at night for 6-8 weeks but under a doctor's supervision.
This will help in lightening the pigmentation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar