What causes bad taste in mouth and dysgeusia?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello there.

i'm 29yr old female. overall pretty healthy, have Lupus which im on plaquenil 200mg x1 tab day with st johns wort 2000mg once per day. and controlled asthma on Breo Ellipta and Ventilion puffers. i suffer fron nerve pain for past 2yrs in legs but start of this yr had it really bad in trigeminal neuralgia which ended up causing a absess under tooth which they had to remove tooth. but this feces smell and taste started about 6 mths before the facial nerve pain.
For past year i regularly get the taste of feces in my mouth or i can smell it very strongly coming from my palms but other times it comes just out of anywhere. i have asked friends to smell and they said i either smell like my bodywash or like bleach, or something sweet.
i brush my teeth regularly and when have taste brush mouth use mouthwash but dosent help. and just have to live with the feces smell till it passes.
Doctor dosent know why its happening, nor wont run test.
but its happening more frequently
can someone please tell me what are the possibilities causes are so i can do something about it.
sincerely XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes listed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Causes of bad taste in mouth or dysgeusia includes:

- disorders of the first and ninth cranial nerves

- vitamin B12 , zinc, copper deficiency

- sinusitis

- tooth abscess(which you've already suffered from), decay

- Sjögren's syndrome

- a big number of drugs

- upper respiratory infection

- multiple sclerosis

- glossitis etc.

So, if tooth problems are excluded, I suggest you to discuss with your primary care Doctor and get tested about above mentioned possible causes.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee