• question-icon

What causes arthritis in the hip when diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain in my leg on one side ...I know I have some arthritis in my hip...but does that kind of pain go down the leg...knee and to the calf...??? I have had a cortizone shot in my knee...it didn't help...I went to the chiropractor for sciatic nerve pain and finally realized that didn't help anymore....the pain is on the outside of the leg mostly.....
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain radiating to lower limbs can occur

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that the arthritis in the hips is associated with narrowing of the exit of the spinal nerves (including that of the sciatic nerve). This would lead to nerve compression which would manifest with pain radiating down to the knees and calf.

Calf muscle pain could also be due to an electrolyte imbalance. I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps. You also need to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Thanks for your answer....so what is the recommendation for finding relief for pain from the hip...hip replacement?? I would rather not do that before I try other alternatives....do you have any alternatives that you could or would recommend? Yes I try to drink plenty of fluids and will try to do more!!
Brief Answer:
A step by step approach needs to be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. For the hip pain, I would insist you to take paracetamol or acetaminophen 500 mg two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days. Hot compress should help. If it does not, I would insist you to get a X Ray of Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports. Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.
If it still does not help, you can opt for acupuncture. It has proven benefits in at least certain other forms of arthritis.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha