What causes an itchy red rash on the ear?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a rash on my ear that keeps getting worse, it is pussing, itchy, swollen, red. It started a month ago, minor, progressively worse, went to dermatologist, she did biopsy, nothing there, gave me hydrocortizone, which seems to making it a lot worse. It is not inside my ear, but on the outer inside rim. Not sure what to do. Maybe go to emergency room.

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like seborrhoic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
What you are describing seems like seborrhoic dermatitis.

If you want you can send me a photo of that area so I can have a look and confirm it.

I recommend that you use ketoconazole 2% cream, twice/day, thick layer for 7-14 days.
When the cream is absorbed you can use also natural oils which are helpful like coconut oil, olive oil, ect.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T