What causes an empty gestational sac without fetal pole during pregnancy?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor, I have A concern I just went for my very first pregnancy scan my BETA HCG shows positive signs of pregnancy 198.30 and even my home tests shows two visible lines. My last Mens date was 22 or 25 XXXXXXX But my scan shows no yolk sack and no fetal pole, the Endometrium is 20mm thick. Can you please help me i'm rather worried am I pregnant or not or is it a miscarriage where I stand.

Answered by Dr. Soumya 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are pregnant

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply :

1) You are definitely pregnant as per your ultrasound scan report and beta hCG values.

2) It is difficult to say if this is miscarriage. If you had delayed ovulation and implantation there is hope of further improvement in pregnancy by appearance of yolk sac, Fetal pole and heart beat.

3) Alternatively you can repeat Serum beta hCG blood test after 48 hours. Live pregnancy should show beta hCG values double after 48 hours from first test.There is possibility of confirming miscarriage if there is no doubling of serum beta hCG blood test after 48 hours.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 2 days later
Thank you Doctor, so much I'll be going for my beta scan on the 15th Aug. Will revert to you and the status. I feel so much better after hearing from you.
Another thing I notice sometimes is brown particles in my urine looks like transparent tissue, is that a part of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:

These are epithelial casts in urine and are not a part of pregnancy.

Don't worry about it.

Keep me posted about progress.
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 38 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. I'll keep you posted
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
wish you good health

Detailed Answer:
Wish you good health