What causes an elevated heart rate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Was in heat earlier, but only about 20 minutes, easy activity. When. Got back, washed face with cool water, drank room temperature water, took it easy for an hour, then ate lunch. About 1/2 hour later, got up and felt dizzy, generally weak, and warm. Turned down the a.c. Another 5 degrees, sat down, and took BP reading. 163/80, pulse 115. Now it is 180/114, pulse 127. I've had history of this in past, but it's been under control since my doctor put me on toprol. I took an extra 25 mg of toprol. Anything natural I can do to help ride this out and bring my numbers down?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you'd better down ECG

Detailed Answer:

Sudden occurrence of high pulse rate without adequate evidence of its cause requires investigation for arrhythmia. Since you're taking a drug like this you shouldn't have had this episode.

One of the most common causes (from the significant ones) of sudden onset rapid heart rate is atrial fibrillation which predisposes to stroke and other untoward events.

So in conclusion you'd better visit a doctor for assessment. I can't suggest any home remedy except resting and staying calm.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again if you'd like any clarification or further information!

Kind regards!