What causes alternating diarrhea and constipation along with pain in stomach?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have diareie and concstipation and bloating, belching and pain in the stomach. I think it is ibs. can you help me. i had a colonospathy back about 8 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to start the treatment options and consult a Gastroenterologist!

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

It seems you either have Mixed diarrhea and constipation (IBS-M) or Altered diarrhea and constipation (IBS-A) type of disease.

To such patients, I usually prescribe the following medications and Instruct as follows:-

Take Citrucel dietary fiber supplement. It causes less/no flatulence and is a good stool bulk maintaining product. It is good for your case to take this product, and remember to keep a judicious supply of water too for best results.

No caffeinated drinks, energy drinks and beverages, chocolates etc.

Take vegetables and fruits, salads and whole grains. No Legumes, Lactose/Fructose containing foods, processed foods, junk and fried foods.

Keep a good physical activity as much as you may do easily.

Start the above treatment options and if you feel diarrhea you may take Imodium after talking the front desk of your Primary care physician. If constipation you may ask for Amitiza and this is very useful medicine for getting relief.

At any point if you feel nothing is working anymore for you will need to consult a Gastroenterologist for complete in-person evaluation and treatment. He may run a battery of tests too on you.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D