What causes persistent diarrhea and fever despite taking medication?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi Doc: About Nov 6, I became ill with stomach cramps. The next day I experienced the cramps, painful gas, an by the third day I experienced the cramps, painful gas, explosive diarrhea, fever and weakness. I stopped
eating and went to bed. Fast Forward 12 days and I now have sneezing, extreme coughing fits, headache, in addition to the other symptoms. On Nov 28, I went to Urgent Care who tested me or strep, took chest xrays and diagnosed me with acute bronchitis, I am taking 100MG of Doxycycline every 12 hours for 7 days. This is day 4 of that therapy and I still get fever, and diarrhea. Should I go to the Emergency Room? I am 67 years old.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surely yes, please go to ER as explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history well and understood the concerns.
It is more than 3 weeks that your problems started as detailed by you.
Initial period of cramps, diarrhea, gas, fever and weakness might have been due to intestinal infection. Imodium helps to control the diarrhea and does not control the infection or causative part. Pepto bismol works for acidity alone. Hence the problem was probably not diagnosed and treated well, making the immunity to go down causing further problems like sneezing, coughing. Headache can be due to cold or infection.
Doxycyclin and Nyquil has not apparently helped for either of the problems.
Hence it is surely advisable to go to Emergency room to get a proper clinical evaluation, examination and investigations of the blood, urine, stool and others as needed to get an appropriate diagnosis and get you started with proper management.
You still have diarrhea, fever and other symptoms.

I hope, this answers your specific query and helps you for proper diagnosis and thus management.
Please give feedback.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T