Are intermittent stomach discomfort along with dark bile vomiting causes for concern?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My stomach is bothering me, has been lightly on and off for 4 or 5 days. ate a lot today and this night I am up every 30 to 45 minutes with a dark bile movement. How do I know if it serious. I am hungry, what is best to eat and drink. Had been taking some Pepto-Bismol and Mylanta earlier, not at same time. Did not seem to help much.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acute gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to health care magic.

From your description it appears that you are having gastroenteritis. Do not worry. Usually its viral and lasts for few days .Vomiting or loose motion will last till body recovers from the illness. Since it is usually viral, antibiotics will not be useful unless there is blood in stools.
Till then I would recommend you to take a probiotics like bifilac/vizylac/econorm twice daily .
To control stools you can take imodium 2mg twice daily.
In case of nausea anti emetic like zofran 4mg can be taken sos.
All are over the counter.

Take light and easily digestible food preferable apple curd,yoghurt and banana. oral electrolyte solution like Electral should be taken to prevent dehydration.

Wish you a fast recovery.