Is Bifilac advisable for loose stools in a child?

Question
Hi Doctor,

My baby(11 months old) is having slight loose motion since 10am. His last two meals are sambar rice at 9p and cerelac at 1130pm yesterday.

Four months back, our pediatrician prescribed bifilac for loose motion. Can we use the same ? If yes, what's the dosage? or we should take any other medicine ?

XXXX
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Loose motions are mostly viral in babies

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Loose motions are mostly viral in nature and get better on their own in babies. Medicines like antibiotics or probiotics like bifilac are usually unnecessary and ineffective. If there is vomiting then medicine like syrup Ondem maybe given 1-2 times a day.

In babies, most important is to keep then well-hydrated with cleaner water, ORS, coconut water or other fluids. Milk maybe be continued in mild diarhea. Juices are best avoided during diarhea. Fluids are given after every loose motion, vomiting or whenever baby wants it.
In diet give whatever the baby wants to have, fruit can also be given. Cerelac and other foods can also be continued.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee