What causes abdominal cramps and watery diarrhea after gallbladder removal?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I had my gallbladder removed 10/25/2017, then had a bile leak that was fixed 11/06/17. I have yet to have a normal BM. I get abdominal cramping & with seconds I need to find a bathroom for an explosion of watery diarrhea. Is this normal? If it gets to be more than a couple times a day, Imodium helps. But I don’t over use it because I don’t want to get constipated. I have a long history IBS. I can’t go anyplace where there isn’t toilet available.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to IBS but secretary and infective diarrhea need to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be related to IBS as it can get worsened due to the recent stress your body has gone through in form of surgeries but in some individuals diarrhea after gall bladder removal may remain for few weeks as direct emission if bile acids into gut without prior storage may cause irritation at first.

Other causes like infective and secretary diarrhea needs to be ruled out on both stool R/E and decreasing amount of food taken respectively. Meanwhile keep good hydration and salt replacement with oral rehydration salts and may get help with adsorbents like ispaghola husk.

It's better to use immodium less as it can have serious side effects if infective wlwment is present. May need IBS management aggressively and detailed gastroenterologist review as soon as possible.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D