What causes abnormal vaginal discharge?

Posted on Wed, 16 Dec 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I have the feeling like I am wet in vaginal area but when I check I am not. I am 46 years old. Is this an early sign of menopause or an infection of some kind. I don't hurt or itch at all. Just an odd feeling that has been going on for the past 2 months.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginal discharge has nothing to do with menopause, however there may be an infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

I hope I understand correctly from your question that you feel the sensation of having vaginal discharge, but you actually do not have any that you can find on your underwear or toilet tissue?

Generally, signs of vaginal infection include increased discharge but also there is usually a foul smell present or some sensation of itching or burning. However in early infection, the discharge may not be heavy enough to come out of your vagina and that is one possibility of the sensation that you feel.

Menopause, if anything, causes the vagina become drier and have less lubrication that it is typically. However, the first sign of menopause is starting to miss or skip your menstrual period. So none of the symptoms you describe are commonly associated with menopause.

There is a possibility, if you're feeling a sensation of wetness but actually do not have any vaginal discharge, that you actually may be leaking some urine. Many women as they age sometimes begin to leak urine, even without feeling. In addition, prolapse of the bladder or vaginal walls (meaning that they've dropped down to an area near the vaginal opening) can make you feel a sensation of increased discharge because some of the vaginal mucosa is actually exposed to the outside.

The best way to figure out if this is happening to you is to go and get a physical examination by your local gynecologist who can check for any signs of urinary incontinence as well is examining your vagina for any signs of an infection.

I hope that I was able to adequately answer your question today, and that this information is helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other additional issues or questions.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 16 minutes later
Thank you so much. I have noticed when I sneeze sometimes that a little pee may come out. I will follow up with gyno. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
So then I am sure you are having some urine leak without feeling it. It is very common.

Thank you for using healthcaremagic.com and my services. Take care, Dr. B
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN