What causes abdominal pain on the left side?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
my husband is having extreme pain on the left side of his abdomen.
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Since the pain is severe this may be an emergency

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history.
Since the pain is extreme on the left side of abdomen in a male patient of 64 the most probable causes are:
Sigmoid volvulus.
Diverticulitis
Left ureteric stone with colic
Left testicular torsion to mention few important and common causes.
If there is associated nausea, vomiting, bloating, loose stools or constipation and/or urinary symptoms it is necessary to have preliminary X-ray of the abdomen in standing position, Ultrasonography and tests of blood, urine and stool along with clinical evaluation to know the exact cause so that an appropriate management can be done.
Till then you may please give him any antispasmodic like Dicyclomin or Buscopan; do not give anything orally at the moment.
Please give detailed history about additional symptoms as I have mentioned above, give feedback also and ask further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain on the left side? 13 hours later
He did vomit once, and the pain subsided and he got up this morning, showered and went to work (construction). I don't know about the dicyclomin or buscopan, and how they are taken. I was wondering if it was a kidney stone which he had once many years ago, and passed. This pain was similar to that in that it was very intense.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
If the vomiting relieved the pain the possible cause can be related to the gastric problem.
It is good that there is no pain now.
But if there is a recurrence get investigated since there is a past history of a kidney stone, ultrasonography and X-ray of the abdomen should be done to see whether the stone is still present, enlarged or passed out.
Please ask the Pharmacy people about the antispasmodics.

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain on the left side? 4 hours later
the pain is beginning to return now. He hasn't had a bowel movement in a couple of days, so he wants me to go get a laxative for him. What do you think?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
only if no other symptoms. get investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Laxative can be given only if there are no other associated symptoms.

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain on the left side? 7 hours later
The pain last night wasn't as bad, and he did take a mild laxative before falling asleep. Sometime in the night he had back pain and his stomach was bloated, so he got up to stretch and see if he could relieve that. then laid back down and slept til morning and woke up feeling no discomfort. He did have a bowel movement this morning and is drinking liquids. Don't know if this is the end of the trouble. We aren't used to going to doctors, and have been doing prayerful work, which is what we try to do first. Any suggestions what he should do next? Of course we'll see how tonight goes.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let us see the progress tonight and decide

Detailed Answer:
Please keep informed me about the progress.

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain on the left side? 9 minutes later
OK. thanks

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Awaited more feedback - go to ER for basic investigations if required.

Detailed Answer:
Please give feedback.

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain on the left side? 2 days later
There have been no further symptoms. Everything back to normal. Thanks for your suggestions.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
That is a great news.

Detailed Answer:
Yet, keep a watch.
Thanks for appreciation.