What causes a white lump under the tongue?

Posted on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a white lump under my tongue which appeared about a week ago -it is surrounded by red and is painless - could this be cancer ? I am female age 55 and I do drink more alcohol than I should . I can send a pic
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lesion oral cavity

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare magic and thanks for putting up the query
It would be better if you can send me the pictures of the lesion so that I can suggest you better.
Also tell me do you have any history of diabetes?
What medicines have u been taking so far?
Follow up with the required information

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 27 minutes later
I havent taken anything so far - i was border line diabetic but not on any meds please see attached pic
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lesion oral cavity

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
The picture attached is not clear but blurred. It appears to be a cyst or a calculus. Please send me the picture again if possible. From the appearance it doesn't seem to be malignant at all.
Please palate the swelling and tell me whether it is soft or hard to feel or any pain on touching the swelling?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 31 minutes later
Its hard to get a decent image of it . When i touch it with my finger it feels like a hard lump but it doesnt hurt at all
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lesion oral cavity

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information. It is probably a sub mandibular duct calculus. It doesn't seem to be malignant at all. My advice is you should visit an ENT SPECIALIST and get it removed.
Don't touch it or press it much as it can cause infection.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist