What causes a sore throat and a dry cough for 3 days?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I slept with a window open and fans on 3 nights ago and woke up with a sore throat, dry, scratchy throat and coughing a lot. I was completely fine before that. No symptoms, no sinus issues. I thought it was maybe sinus issues though so I started taking allegra. it wasnt getting better, it was getting worse. I saw my doctor yesterday and she said she thinks its sinus issues to take allegra D but also gave me Rx for antibiotics just in case because I am getting ready to go on vacation. She said to only take them if I start coughing up yellow or green. Well, my cough has remained, its a deep harsh cough, Im not coughing up anything at all but when I swallow it feels sharp on one side of my throat. I have no nasel conjestion, no fever, no nothing. My throat is just so very sore. I have had sinus trouble before and this really does not feel like the cough caused by nasel drip. I do not have tonsils. I am 41 yr old female. Should I take these antibiotics she gave me even though I am not coughing anything up or is this just a bad sore throat? When I look at my throat with a flashlight, its very pale, almost white, by where my tonsils used to be on the sides there behind my teeth and the rest of my throat is varying shades of pink and red.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhinitis and cough

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been experiencing a sore throat and a dry cough for 3 days. The cough is deep but non productive. The picture you sent shows no signs of infection like strep throat. At this point I think you have allergic sore throat. In addition to the allegra D I would recommend Flonase OTC. The combination may help slow the overall symptoms. It is also possible with you going on vacation will change your location and the allergens that are in the air.

I would recommend also salt water gargles to sooth the back of your throat.

You should get better soon depending on what your are allergic to.

This could also be a viral illness in which case it will run its course. Antibiotics will not change the course of a viral illness. You can still take the Allegra D and salt water gargles to help the symptoms. For the cough I would recommend Delsym as it lasts for 12 hours and will suppress that cough making your throat less irritated

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 24 minutes later
Thank you. no sign of strep is a relief, that was my fear. the only thing that has changed is I finally coughed something up and it was yellow. I will gargle with saltwater and continue with the allegra and try the others you mentioned as well. The sharp pain I am feeling on the left side of my throat seems to be exactly where my lymphnode is located and lymphnode pain makes more sense than strep because of the location of the sharp pain being on one side only. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
your welcome

Detailed Answer:
your welcome
Dr. Ronald Schubert