What causes a rash on the back?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor, a coulle of days ago i woke up with this rash on my back and it has now spread near my armpit, i was worrying because it looked like hiv rash but i got tested for hiv in janurary and it was negative and have not had sex since, could you tell me what it looks like?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This looks like shingles

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX This looks like shingles which could only be the case if you've had chickenpox in the past. If that's not the case, then it's an allergic dermatitis. Either way, it looks nothing like the HIV rash so you needn't worry about that.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 28 minutes later
Yes i have had chicken pox before, they are itchy but not to the point where im constantly itching them, but they are very sore and its painful when im laying on my back, does this still sound like shingles?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it does

Detailed Answer:
Shingles pain is most often a burning pain and usually it doesn't itch that much. Dermatitis is itchy but not painful, so I feel certain this is shingles. A prescriptions for acyclovir from your doctor can shorten the time for this to resolve.