What causes a rash on the abdomen?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello. Could you please tell me the name of this rash and how to get rid of it. I slept on my side for about 3 or 4 hours and when i woke this rash was on the side of my tummy, the side i had been sleeping on. Please let me know what you think
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urticarial rash or capillaritis, answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be either an urticarial rash or capillaritis.
I need to ask you few questions:
Is it raised or flat?
Do you have itching, burning or any other complaints on the rash?
Were you wearing any tight clothes?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Hi, the rash is mostly raised. It looks like perfect scratches. A cat wouldnt or could not make perfect scrathes but if they could it would look similar to what is my stomach. It hurts just a bit, its not super painful but definetly uncomfortable to say the least. I was not wearing any clothing. Just a very short t short T shirt. The rash It has faded alot over the hours. It is still raised and still there tho just a bit lighter. I also have abdominal lympedema. Would that have some thing to do with the rash
.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urticarial rash, calamine lotion and antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it seems to be urticarial rash which could be related to pressure on the affected skin while lying down or due to abdominal lymphedema.
I would recommend you to apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.
This should resolve it.