Owl Image

What causes a rash on the abdomen?

Owl Image
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Question
Hello. Could you please tell me the name of this rash and how to get rid of it. I slept on my side for about 3 or 4 hours and when i woke this rash was on the side of my tummy, the side i had been sleeping on. Please let me know what you think
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urticarial rash or capillaritis, answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be either an urticarial rash or capillaritis.
I need to ask you few questions:
Is it raised or flat?
Do you have itching, burning or any other complaints on the rash?
Were you wearing any tight clothes?
Kindly revert with the answers.
Dr Asmeet

Follow-up: What causes a rash on the abdomen? 3 hours later
Hi, the rash is mostly raised. It looks like perfect scratches. A cat wouldnt or could not make perfect scrathes but if they could it would look similar to what is my stomach. It hurts just a bit, its not super painful but definetly uncomfortable to say the least. I was not wearing any clothing. Just a very short t short T shirt. The rash It has faded alot over the hours. It is still raised and still there tho just a bit lighter. I also have abdominal lympedema. Would that have some thing to do with the rash
.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urticarial rash, calamine lotion and antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it seems to be urticarial rash which could be related to pressure on the affected skin while lying down or due to abdominal lymphedema.
I would recommend you to apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.
This should resolve it.