What causes a pea sized itchy lump on the groin area?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: Found a pea size (or smaller), odd shape "lump" on the right side in the groin area. Not painful. What brought my attention to it was it intensely itched just the one time. No other symptoms. Feel great. Just concerned. It's under the skin and feels like it's attached to whatever is there (muscle, fat, whatever). Just found it a while a go. No tenderness. Should I panic???
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like an enlarged lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history and discription you have shared, it most probably seems to be a swollen inguinal lymph node. It needs to be examined by a surgeon for discriminating it from other such swellings like lipoma or some inguinal hernia.

Ultrasound of the swelling may be needed. In the abscence of other symptoms like fever or weight loss it seems to be Benign but needs to be evaluated on blood work up like complete blood count, ESR and liver function tests as well as to be planned for a biopsy to look for the exact cause.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T