What causes a large hole on the left buttock after taking Cortisone injection?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I am looking at the site where there is what looks like a large hole on my left buttocks I am exercising pilates, all of it and it won't go away, looks similar to a hollow spot on my thigh after a cortisone injection that was administered to remove a lump , after a year that went away. This is round like the area ....

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It might have been due to fallen off cyst/mass

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: Female/55 - large hole on left buttock - not going in spite of all the pilates exercises - looks similar to a hollow spot on thigh after a cortisone injection given for a lump, which went away after a year - ? This is round like the area .... please give details.

If the hole on the buttock is same which appeared after cortisol injection on thigh, this is most probably due to fallen off cyst or so. And may get healed from within in a way that the thigh hole got filled by body's own mechanisms. This does happen even without the parson not knowing that the cyst/mass has fallen off.
If it is like a crater, it may be a depression due to muscle local atrophy or so and may not get alright.

Your providing clear pictures would help me for on-the-spot diagnosis, but I understand the difficulty in getting and posting such pictures. Please attach to this query only if it is possible on your side.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.