What causes a deep dent in the scalp?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi about a few months ago noticed a dent on left front of scalp about an inch from hair line but dent is quite deep and about an inch wide, was never there before, no direct hit although 6 months ago had car accident with side whiplash but no hit to head. no pain just odd. 55 year old woman, what should I do? tests? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
does not sound serious

Detailed Answer:
This sounds like an abnormality in the skin of your scalp. As long as there is no sign of infection or inflammation (pain or redness) then I would not be concerned about it. I am surprised that the dermatologist did not do a biopsy of the area just to reassure you that there is no ongoing problem. It would be a good idea for you to see your PCP and get their opinion.
It is a very good sign that the dermatologist and acupuncturist did not feel that this was a serious problem.
It is always uncomfortable when we find things that are unexpected on our bodies. This does not seem like a serious problem but get your PCP to check it to make sure.
Regards, Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson