What causes a dark purple vein like mark on the upper lip?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have dark purple ,looks like a vain,rt upper lip,sudden on set
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....need some information 
Detailed answer..
Thanks or the query.
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Since I don't have any facility of examining you and discuss face to face,I need certain informations from you so that I can guide you properly.
Has it happened for first time ?
Is it painful?
Is there any history of local injury?
Is it tender to touch?
Are you taking any medications like pain killers,anti coagulants or blood thinners etc ?
Try to upload photos if possible which can help me a lot.
Please do provide the list of medicines you are taking.
Waiting for your reply.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 16 hours later
started on lisinopril two weeks ago, no other meds, no pain , it looks like a vain, blood pressure is high, seeing a DR. only had this for two weeks. unable to send a picture, retired oncology research rn , worked in leukemia, don't know much about skin cancer , but it does not look like that , more like a vain, maybe from the high bp. only after I started the meds that it started ,thanks
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Your reply suggests that it might be a bruise which is quite common as the age advances.
As you know blood capillaries get thinned out in old age,so one  tends to get bruises very easily.
As far as lisinopril is concerned it can cause bruises very rarely.
Other condition with which lisinopril can be linked is angioneurotic  edema of the face or lips  but again it doesn't appear so.
Since you had it after starting lisinopril,definitely mind does go  towards bruising only..
 I think you can discuss with your doctor about it and seek his opinion whether to change the drug or just wait and watch for some more time while continuing it.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me or any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 15 hours later
Thank you for the information will follow up withGP
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks