What can be the cause of terrible unpleasant taste in the mouth while yawning ?

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Question: Over the past week have been getting a terrible, unpleasant taste in my mouth when yawning. Also there when I first wake up in the morning. Haven't noticed any changes in my mouth, but I look with a flashlight I do see a little white halo in the very back. It is very faint. Recently went for a dental cleaning with a clean XXXXXXX of mouth health anyway. Finished 6 rounds of chemo treatment in XXXXXXX Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

Infections in the oral cavity are very common after a chemotherapy cycle due to the immunocompromised state of the body.

This unpleasant taste might be the result of organisms growing in your mouth overnight or due to dry mouth as a result of salivary glands underactivity ( again a common side effect of the chemotherapy)

This is not a serious problem and some of the minor changes in your lifestyle will bring the relief like-

1.Chewing a sugar-free gum before going to the bed at night.

2.Drinking plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist.

3. Protecting your teeth by brushing with a fluoride toothpaste, using a fluoride rinse at least twice daily.

4. Breathing through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible.

5. Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute.

6. Clean the tongue with Tongue scraper or with toothbrush itself.

7. Avoid smoking and drinks with caffeine as tea and coffee.

8. Have lots of yoghurt in diet.

If your symptoms do not improve over 2 weeks then please visit your physician to undergo a physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN