What are the symptoms of degenerative disc disease?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: What does spinal alignment is anatomical mean.

Also what does it mean by mild-moderate loss of intervertebral disc height in the thoracic spine, extending from t5/6 to t9/10 mean?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Degenerative disc disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Spinal alignment refer to the spinal curvature,as reflected by the cervical,thoracic,lumbar and sacral vertebrae of the spine.

Loss of disc height occurs because of the shrinkage of discs due to degeneration of the discs.So,these spine changes from D5-D6 to D9-D10,reflects Degenerative disc disease.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 4 minutes later
So the degenerative disc disease could that be the schuermanns disease that i had been told i have at the age of 34?

Is there anything I can do to help my back? I have a lot of lower back pain most of the time and this sometimes affects me sitting and definitely walking.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medicines/physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Degenerative disc disease is the commonest cause of disc disease.However,Scheuermann disease or juvenile discogenic disease can also cause loss of disc spaces and loss of spine curvature i.So,if the treating doctors have done proper evaluation,Scheuermann disease can't be negated as a possibility.

You should take non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (like naproxen,ibuprofen) on sos basis(at the time of moderate to severe- pain).PLEASE TAKE MEDICINES UNDER A PHYSICIAN'S GUIDANCE ONLY.

Also,you should learn physiotherapy exercises of spine from an expert physiotherapist and do them regularly with dedication.Calcium/vitamin D supplementation should also be taken.I hope to see you improve soon.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 14 days later
Hi there, thanks for the follow up.
I am no better than when I asked the question. I have found out there is really nothing we can do for it. I also have problems like it in my neck too.
I am really scared that I am only 38 and will not be able to walk around for too many years to come.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regular physiotherapy/calcium and vitamin D supplementation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I can understand your fears but please reassure yourself and start doing regular physiotherapy-spinal exercises.Simultaneously,please take a high protein and a well balanced natural diet along with calcium and vitamin D supplementation.Antioxidants supplements will also help.
Regular spinal exercises will show results in atleast 1-2 months time.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad