What are the symptoms of GERD?
I hope the person that answers is a true doctor and not someone that's trying to get money. Some pictures are shown, but I can't see your face so I won't know if it's you.
Could it be one of the problems with my GI tract, because since Saturday evening I have been now been experiencing severe burning in my esophagus. Since I do have GERD, could this be what's causing the extreme salty.
Sorry to learn about your medical problem.
Yes GERD can cause such a sensation in the mouth. I see you are already on pantoprazole which should have helped the condition. It appears that is probably why your GI doctor advised you to try going of Onglyza and see if the taste problem got better.
So then you tried it and it has not helped. In any case to my knowledge there is no such taste related side effect described with the use of Onglyza.
From the list of medications you are on, Enalapril and Metformin are known to cause taste related problems.
The only way one can know for sure as to whether one or both of these medications is responsible for your symptom is by going off it and seeing if the problem goes away. And if the salty taste returns when you re-start the medication, it is very likely due to the medication.
The challenge here is that you should not simply stop one or both the medications without close medical supervision because your blood pressure and diabetes control may worsen.
So speak to your primary care doctor and see what would be the safest way to go about this, if you are ready to consider this option.
Again, I am sorry to hear about that.
It looks like you have severe GERD symptoms without the pantoprazole. It is quite possibly the cause of your taste disturbance.
If the problem occurs even when you are regularly taking the pantoprazole, then it is quite challenging to determine the cause of this.
With long standing poorly controlled diabetes, the nerves get affected. it is called Neuropathy, and that can alter the taste. Neurologists specialize in diagnosing and managing this condition. A thorough physical examination is required for this, and so an in-person visit with a neurologist will be necessary
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of whats problem gerd
- Acid reflux gerd symptoms
- Symptoms of gerd
- Gerd and back pain symptoms
- Gerd cough symptoms
- Symptoms of gerd in women
- Symptoms of gerd local irritation
- What are the symptoms and treatment for gerd
- Are difficulty swallowing symptoms of gerd?
- What are the possible treatments for gerd like symptoms
- Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency
- How are headaches and vitiligo treated ?
- Feel cold, lightheadedness, memory problems, foggy thinking,...
- Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, taking Thyronorm. Do you...
- Underweight, taken dexamethasone. How can I gain weight?
- What can be done for a high blood sugar? Have frequent urination.
- Had hormone imbalance. Used androgel when testosterone went down. Will...
- Have a postprandial hypoglycemic reaction to foods with carbs. Gaining...
- Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Is Armour thyroid or Erfa thyroid better...
- Cold feeling after eating sugar. Headache, fever, BP high, have...