What are the side effects of Levofloxacin?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello. My father was prescribed 10 days of 500 mg Levofloxacilin once a day for a suspected pulmonary infection. After 7 days he was told to stop because he developed pain in his hand and Achilles, and this was described as an allergic reaction.
Is this situation common, and how long will it take for the tendonitis to subside? What kind of allergy is this?!
He is otherwise a healthy 90 years old. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reported but rare side effect.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, this is a well documented side effect of levofloxacin although it is rare and occurs only in 0.1% of the patients that uses the medication.
on average this will take a year to heal. ice massaging along with the anti inflammatory medications will help fasten the healing process.
you should also follow a high protein diet to help the healing process .
I hope I answered your question. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 28 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. If it only not even 1% could it be associated with any other physical problem or medication? He takes allopurinol for gout My father was advised not to take anti-inflammatories if possible by the doctor or PA. But will it really take up to a year to disappear?!
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Average of one year.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, patients above 60 years of age , having renal problem, taking corticosteroids are more prone to this side effect.
it takes an average of one year to heal, it can take less or more according to the extent of tendinitis present.
I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 25 minutes later
Very interesting because his renal function is somewhat under the range of normal indeed. Thankfully he can walk with some pain and has the slight pain in his hand. He stopped the medication on the 7th day, and other than the renal issue and some mild dementia, but otherwise is in pretty good health for his age.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rest and acetaminophen

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, he should avoid exhaustion of the inflamed joints. as for anti inflammatory medications , acetaminophen is safe to use in patients with renal impairement. if it does not work then low dose tramadol ( less than 200 mg ) can be used. he should avoid non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs as ibuprofen . I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.