• question-icon

Suggest treatment for low ejection fraction

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my husband is 95 years old, he has a cough from his lungs, his heart % is 20, he has lost weight fast. He still eats fair. I need to know what to expect, sudden heart failure, or other ways, I am 90 and we live alone. we have been told there is fluid in both lungs.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your concern and would explain that considering his severe cardiac dysfunction (low ejection fraction of 20%) heart failure seems to be the most reasonable cause of his cough.

If such is the case, other additional complaints may be present such as shortness of breath, palpitations, easy fatigue and even limbs edema.

But, also other potential causes should be sought as well, such as a pulmonary infection, cardiac arrhythmia, uncontrolled hypertension, or an adverse effect of medications (use of ACEI, such as Enalapril, Ramipril, etc.)

Coming to this point, it is necessary to discuss with his attending doctor on the possibility of performing a new medical checkup including a careful physical exam and additional medical tests as follows:

- resting ECG,
- chest X ray study,
- BNP or NT-proBNP,
- complete blood count,
- PCR & ESR,
- BUN & creatinine,
- liver function tests,
- blood electrolytes level,
- arterial blood gas analysis,
- fasting blood glucose level

A new optimization of heart failure therapy or treatment of any potential alternative causes, according to the medical tests results would would be helpful in relieving his actual disturbances.

You need to discuss with his doctor on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist