question-icon

What are the repercussions of Paracetamol overdose?

Posted on Fri, 23 Jun 2017
Question: Is someone who took 30 500mg paracetamol, 87 hours ago with no reaction except a little nausea, now out of the woods? From what I see online, if it gets past 72 hours, the liver starts to repair itself. Is that correct?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No, that is not correct

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns

Please note that symptoms usually does not appear except after 48 hours. And after 72 hours, even hepatic necrosis and acute renal failure can occur. These complications can be dangerous and even fatal especially in a dose as high as the one you've mentioned here as ingested.

I would recommend that you go to the hospital immediately to run the following tests: liver function tests (ALT, AST) , renal function tests ( BUN , creatinine, electrolytes), Blood gas analysis and PT and INR .. after that you should be started on immediate treatment with N-acetylcysteine.

I hope I answered your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman