What are the complications of blood clot in upper leg?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: right foot and ankle swelling getting worse over time. ultra sound detected blood clot in uppper leg
treatment started with rivaroxaban 30 mg dailly
qu if this condition ie the clot was not treated what would be a likely outcome
qu does the medication dissolve the clot or just its composition will the swelling continue?
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pulmonary thromboembolism

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.
The present condition is called as :"deep vein thrombosis".

If it were not treated, the thrombus (clot within blood vessel), in time would have got detached and moved through the veins into the heart and then in the lungs resulting in condition called as thromoboembolism. Wherever it blocks the vessel, lung damage will occur resulting in severe difficulty in breathing. It is difficult to treat and if massive, carries a poor prognosis.
The drug has been prescribed to prevent similar future risk.
Medication is known to dissolve the clot, and in course of time, would reduce the swelling. Limb elevation after sometime is necessary.

This drug should not be overdosed as reversal of anticoagulant effect is not there and can result in massive bleeding.
Being XXXXXXX is essential to prevent future risk of deep vein thrombosis.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T