• question-icon

What are the chances of recurrence of ovarian tumour post its removal?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Dear Doctor,
I was diagnosed of borderline ovarian tumour in my right ovary. I under went surgery and the ovary was removed. I was told that I had no spread. I am under continuous monitoring.
Recently through ultrasound it was seen that the remaining ovary has cysts. One cyst especially is about 2.5cm with a small solid portion. I will be undergoing further tests the coming week.
However I just wanted to know, according to literature what are the statistics for a recurrence for borderline cases with one ovary left.
Thank you
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Overall 15-20% recurrence rate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again. Followings are my comments:

1) Cyst size 2.5 cm is NOT much problematic. However, you should undergo periodic monitoring and do necessary tests.

I suggest you to undergo biopsy or histopathological examination of the solid portion to know the nature of the cyst. CA-125 should be done.

2) Patients with borderline tumors have an excellent overall prognosis. Risk of recurrence (while one vary left) is around 15% for Stage-1 and 20% for stage 2-4 as per available data.

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 12 hours later
Dear Doctor,
As per blood test done a week ago, the CA125 is 6.7.
If a biopsy of the cyst is to be done, then ir'll be a procedure under general anasthesia, right ?
Thank you
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal CA-125 report. Done under GA.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Welcome back again.

1) The normal value of CA-125 is less than 35 U/mL. Your test report is quite OK. Nothing to worry much.

2) In suspected cases, ovarian tissue may be biopsied during laparoscopy or with a needle placed directly into the tumor through the skin of the abdomen. Usually the needle will be guided by either ultrasound or CT scan. Procedure is mostly done under GA.

Hope, I have answered your query. Good luck and take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist