What are the chances of infection after accidentally splashing blood in eye?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am a health worker and 2 and a half weeks ago I might have had a possible blood splash in my eye, as I opened the cover of the analyser, it hit the samples and blood was splashed all over. There were 40 samples - each blood sample had been aspirated by a probe ( around 2 micro litres) and diluted with haemolysing solution for capillary electrophoresis for HbA1c analysis. I don't think I felt anything in my eye but everything happened so quickly, I am not sure. I think I would have felt it. I immediately washed my eye thoroughly with eye wash. What are the chances of getting infected in your opinion? if it had hit my eye would I have spotted any more blood spots around my face, because I did not. I am really worried. Also, there has been 2 days now that I have a cold with runny nose but not fever. Could it be a coincidence?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need to be worried

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Well first, the chance of any systemic infection such as HIV is hepatitis almost negligible. Such transmissions through eye conjuctiva are really rare scenario and happens usually when there is previous eye injury and in people with weakened immune system. Only danger is from getting local infection, conjuctivitis caused by some bacterias but it would manifest within 2 days with eye relates symptoms.
So I dont think this is related to this incident, but you can do tests for your satisfaction. Wish you good health Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Dear Dr Romic,

Thank you for your quick reply and moreover for your thorough answer to my question. I do suffer from generalised anxiety disorder and panic attacks and this makes the whole thing worse. I feel a bit better now. I was thinking of visiting a private clinic to be tested for my peace of mind but I will think it over again now that you sounded reassuring.
Thank you again for your valuable advice,
Kind Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You re welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Yes ,I know,people are always terrified of hiv and hep but these infections are not so easily transmitted so fear is unnecessary. But of course,I understand your worries and test may ease your minds but from medical point of view ,risk is really negligible.