Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Want to know best course of action. Have UTI, burning urination, urge to urinate, bladder pain. Sensitive to antibiotics.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
I've had an UTI for 3 weeks now. It's possible its Chlamydya/Gonnorea as it was from sexual contact, or just a regular UTI.
Symptoms are light burning (closer to tingling) in the urethra after urination, combined with frequent need to urinate.
Theres no real discharge or noticeable smell, its possible theres been some very minor discharge the last few days, but nothing noticeable to the eye.
The biggest issue is a dull pain in the bladder (both left and right side of the groin), which has gotten really bad the last 2 days.
Also had some minor pain in mid back past few days and this morning felt a sharp pain in the right kidney area, and some very minor dull pain in the kidney area throughout the day.
So I'm worried it's spreading.

At the moment, kidney pain is not noticeable, urethra tingling is constantly noticeable, but Bladder pain has become a lot stronger in the last 48hrs, even some pain while walking.

I'm also very sensitive to antibiotics, so this makes it rather complicated.
I know I can tolerate Azithromycin to an extent, but am ALLERGIC to Penicillin & Cephalosporin type antibiotics (Cefixime at the very least)

So far I've tried a few antiviral natural supplements that have worked for me to cure a UTI a few times in the past year, but this time the effects are inconsistent, the UTI gets better for a few days, then worse again.
This could account as to why it's only become a real issue after 3 weeks, as well as "milder" symptoms.

I need to know the best course of action, any suggested tests or antibiotics.
I'm currently in the Dominican and explaining the details to doctors here is not very useful. Their strategy is to give a few shots and prescribe strong antibiotics without much thought.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Your medical knowledge is commendable. I believe you must be carrying on an upper UTI at this moment. And the need of the hour are an admission and empirical therapy with broad spectrum antibiotics at the earliest.

Your allergy matters will be addressed. And there are so many antibiotics far greater than the spectrum of action beyond cefixime too. So, allergy is never an issue. Newer potent groups include newer oxazolidinediones, newer tetracyclines among a whole list.

I would not know from here, if the viral UTI history would be likely here, because the symptoms are not demarcated. And if so, would need those as well.

The best investigation while you are under treatment would be by culture and sensitivity tests of your urine and some blood tests.

And then, the results are corroborated and antibiotics changed as necessary.
Get a consultation soon with the urologist. Dominican Republic has 2 medical universities of tertiary medical care that I know - and you could seek help there.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Want to know best course of action. Have UTI, burning urination, urge to urinate, bladder pain. Sensitive to antibiotics. 12 hours later
Thanks for the quick response.


What is a safe antibiotic to start with before test results are ready?
It needs to be something that deals with bladder and kidney infections and is very easy to handle, because of my sensitivity to antibiotics.


"The best investigation while you are under treatment would be by culture and sensitivity tests of your urine and some blood tests."

Can you please elaborate on the urine and blood tests. I need to know EXACTLY what to ask them to test, and what to look for.


If the symptoms get better when taking an antibiotic, that means it is working and I should continue right?


Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 44 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

1. Empirical therapy can be done with many combinations available today. The choice would have to take into consideration all your medical aspects far beyond sensitivity and spectrum of action; in fact 16 factors in all. It would be wise to start empirical treatment after discussing with your treating physician.

2. Urine - Culture: means the microorganism/s will be identified as per the colony on a glass plate.

Urine - Sensitivity: means this identified microorganism shall be tested against various standardized antibiotics to see if it is killed or not.

Blood counts - number of different cell counts are done to help correlate clinical findings.

3. Yes. The antibiotics needs to be continued as per suggested by your prescribing doctor.

Hope I have answered all your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor