• question-icon

Waht causes constipation and black stool?

Posted on Wed, 16 Apr 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Constipated and black stool for the past few days was taking Flintstone vitamins with iron as an adult took two daily stop taking because of black stool for two days and stool is still black is it still iron in the vitamins stopped for 2ndays or something else. No belly pAin . Taking 6mg estrogen for 3 weeks only just Flintstone vitamins with iron one week
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: normal Detailed Answer: black stool in the setting of taking iron supplements is normal. after stopping iron supplements, the color of the stool goes back to normal usually within 72 hours, so you are ok. Black stools could also mean bleeding from the stomach (however usually stools are very very foul smelling, and liquid consistency). Black stools from iron are usually normal consistency, they just change color. If you are not sure if you may be having bleeding or blood in the stool, then you should definitely be seen by a physician as soon as possible. Estrogen should not be a problem. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns
Dr. Enrique Molina