What causes raised ferritin levels in the blood?
iron overload is one cause
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Ferritin is a protein that stores iron
Ferritin levels can range 11- 306 ng/ml in women, this may vary slightly from lab to lab.
Your increased ferritin levels themselves are not going to harm you but are an indicator of a problem.
Iron overload can cause increased ferritin and since you are are iron supplements, this may be the cause. Stopping the supplement would help.
Some of the other causes of increased ferritin are--(1)liver disease
(4)hyperthyroidism (high thyroid hormone levels)
(5)end stage kidney disease
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
can show up in different areas
Liver disease can affect protein levels eg total protein, albumin. It can also affect clotting so blood tests such as PT, PTT would be abnormal as well.
Liver function tests though would generally include liver enzymes such as AST (SGOT), ALT (SGPT), alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin levels.
The fact that you are using iron supplements makes this the most likely reason for the increased ferritin
Please feel free to ask anything else
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does multivitamin intake cause high ferritin level
- Cause of high ferritin level
- What could be the cause of ferritin level 25
- Low ferritin levels causes
- Does vitamin intake cause high ferritin levels
- Ursocol 300 causes increased ferritin level
- Causes of raised ferritin levels
- Causes of low ferritin levels in children
- Elevated ferritin levels causes
- Raised ferritin causes