Used cortisone cream for excema. Have rashes on armpit, red and dry flaky skin. Dermatitis?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: One winter, my doctor told me I had excema on my eyelid and gave me cortisone cream to make it go away. Switched doctors and was told not to put cortisone near my eyes so I would have to suffer through it. Haven't been able to a doctor yet this winter but it is the winter is the worst Yet. Rash on my armpit, the hairline at the back of my neck and all around my eyes. Dry flaky skin, redness, cracking (though no bleeding) and this gross thickening roughness. Is this still just winter dermatitis? How can I get it off my eyes? It's giving me wrinkles and making my eyes water. Not pretty. Also can you use cortisone on the back of your neck? That probably sounds silly. But your spine is there and all...so I was worried it might be like the eyes.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
With the description of your skin concern, it seems you are probably having seborrheic dermatitis.
The same can be controlled by-
1) use a mild soap and moisturiser( cetaphil)
2) use XXXXXXX warm water instead of hot water to bathe
3) apply moisturiser immediately after bath.
4) over face you can use mild steroid like hydrocortisone or fluticasone for few days(5 to 7 days)to treat dryness. It would do no harm if used for a small period of time. Do not use strong steroid around eyes. But hydrocortisone, fluticasone, clobetasone, desonide are quite safe to use over face.
5) if scalp is itchy and dry, use a ketoconazole based shampoo every other day to remove dryness.
6) over rest of the affected areas you may safely use an antifungal steroid combination like clotrimazole- betamethasone, terbinafine- mometasone etc. to treat redness, dryness and itching.

Cortisone is quite safe to be used over any body area but for adults it is quite mild. It does not have any effect on spine.

Wrinkling around eyes will go away with proper moisturisation and application of mild steroid( for few days).

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, feel free to write back.