What causes swelling in the body while on steroids?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: why do steroids cause swelling I thought they took the swelling down and how long does the swelling stay and what can I do to make it better
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to fluid retention

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns,

Because cortisone is involved in regulating the body's balance of water, sodium, and other electrolytes, using these drugs can promote fluid retention and swelling.

In order to reduce fluid accumulation, you should follow a low sodium diet. Look for low-salt versions of typically high-salt foods, such as chips, soups, canned vegetables, salad dressings, and prepared foods.

Also, try to avoid extra salt in food at the table rather than use it in moderation during cooking. If the swelling is severe you may need diuretics (water pills) to improve the condition. This fluids retention should be reversed completely when you stop taking corticosteroids.

I hope you find this helpful...Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 52 minutes later
thank u so much :))
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
you are welcome, kind regards.. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion and rate the answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana