Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Unable to conceive. Blood test shows low progesterone. Visiting a gynecologist. Tests and treatment for infertility ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 158 Questions
i am 33 years old. have been trying to have a baby for 5 months, but not successful. I had blood test last week (day 21 after period), showing progesterone level 1.5. My GP says it is very low. I am going to see a gynaecologist. I just what tests/treatments i am going to have. I have no medical history.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 57 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your health concern.

Low progesterone levels denote that your ovary is not producing eggs adequately ( in medical terms it is called Anovulation). It is one of the commonest cause of infertility. Depending on the cause, it is treatable and results are good after treatment. The various treatment options your Gynecologist will discuss with you, which varies from some oral medicines like Clomiphene to injectables like Gonadotrophins. If you are overweight, weight reduction also helps.

Hope my suggestions will help you. I will be available for your follow up queries, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor