Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

UTI symptoms, bacteria in urine. Prescribed sulfamethoxazole. Thread like organism in urine. Is this dangerous?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I had an intense onset of UTI symptoms last night (pain during urination & urgency). Went to the Dr. today and there was a minimal amount of bacteria in the urine. I was prescribed Sulfaamethoxazole and have had one dose 6 hrs ago. When I went to the bathroom about 45 minutes ago, I noticed a small (1" length),"thick threadlike" organism in my urine. Should I be concerned with this?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern but firstly it needs to be checked whether this white worm like white organism is due to vaginal discharge or due to white clumps in urine.

If it is white clumps in urine then it can be due to your recent UTI. Other important possibility is of bladder debris. Parasitic infections like schistosomiasis and filariasis can result in worms in urine which appear as fleshy substances. Then fungal infections like candidiasis of the female genital tract too cause fleshy substance in urine. Bladder cancer, polyps and stones are other reasons but they should only be considered when other possibilities have been ruled out.

I suggest you to get a urine examination done, preferably with the white clump. Other investigations which are needed are a culture swab of the cervical discharge and if need arises a cystoscopy of the bladder.

Till then drink plenty of water and take your antibiotics for UTI regularly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor