Trying to conceive. Have irregular intercourse. All reports normal except being overweight. How often to have sex?

Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi I have been trying to conceive but we only have sex maybe once a week or even less frequent. I am ripping my hair out because I have never been pregnant and I am now 38 but have never been caught. I was never sexually active until I was 26 but never been really very active. I have had an ultrasound scan which my Gynaecologist has corrolated with blood work and I dont have PCO, I am attaching the report. Everything with me and my husband is ok apart from me being overweight at 17st 7lb and husband smokes but has cut down a lot and has tobacco of 20 a day compared to cigarettes of 40-50 per day. He is trying to cut down more and I am trying to lose weight. Do you think i can conceive naturally with more cut backs and regular sex, how often should we be having sex for best chances to conceive. I do ovulate and I do have regular periods
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 35 hours later
Brief Answer: Positive chance of pregnancy, exclude hypothyroid Detailed Answer: HI, XXXXXXX Keogh, Thanks for posting query. I studied your history and ultrasound in detail. As your ovulation and period is normal and according to your Gynaec there is no PCOD, chances of having pregnancy is there. However, keeping your age in mind, with the age fertility goes down. Frequency of having sex is not of much importance for having pregnancy. Go for ovulation study and go for sex daily for two three days after ovulation, which will increase chance of pregnancy. After sex, do not go for toilet or cleaning for about an hour or so. Keep your pelvic area raised by putting pillow to encourage traveling semen into vaginal canal. I want to highlight one point that as there are multiple small follicles in both ovaries, chance of having PCOD cannot be ruled out, so discuss this with your Gynaec. Again, it seems that semen examination of your husband is not carried out, so it is advisable to go for semen examination. One another point I want to high light is that as you are overweight, chance of having Hypothyroid should be ruled out as this is again a common condition where there is problem for having pregnancy. Diabetes should be ruled out as well. Reduce weight. I hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please write back. Wish you good luck for having a child.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 3 hours later
So you dont see any infertility issues and I should conceive with timing intercourse around ovulation
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try soon, positive chance of pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXXXXX Keogh, Thanks for posting query again. Since all your reports are normal i.e. uterus and ovaries are normal, along with normal period and no evidence of PCOD, there are maximum chances for pregnancy. Go ahead with the ovulation study, have sexual intercourse as directed by the physician. Reduce weight, which sometimes can cause disturbance in pregnancy. Try as early as possible as you are 38 years of age now. I hope, I answered your query. Now if you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later
If I dont have a fertility problem why have a never got pregnant before is it all to do with timing of intercourse?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Timing of intercourse is important, if others clear Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXXXXX Keogh, Thanks for query again. In your case, as I told you before there are few reasons for not having pregnancy. Having hypothyroid, obesity, possibility of PCOD, semen examination etc. We take it granted that all reports are normal. It also depends upon quality of ovum. If timing of intercourse is other than ovulation, chances of conception are less likely. Take care