Treatment for bleeding gums while brushing teeth and bad breath?

Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: While brushing teeth blood comes out thru gums and even i have bad breath
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 52 minutes later

Thanks for writing.

Bleeding gums and bad breath are usually due to gingivitis which is associated with many factors such as:
- Microorganisms
- Calculus
- Food impaction
- Faulty restoration/appliances
- Mouth breathing
- Tooth malposition
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Drug action
- Endocrine changes like puberty, menstrual cycle, pregnancy, diabetes mellitus, etc.

Without an opportunity to examine and evaluate you, I am unable to narrow down the possibilities. Therefore I encourage you to visit a dentist to find out the exact cause and to get your teeth cleaned.

In the meanwhile
- Brush your teeth twice regularly using soft inter dental brush.
- Replace your toothbrush in every 6 months.
- Brush in back-forth and up-down motion and rinse your mouth after every meal.
- Use chlorhexidine mouthwash regularly.
- Include vitamin-c containing food in your diet; e.g., lemon, oranges etc.
- Also check your menstrual cycle/pregnancy/blood sugar level to know whether you are diabetic or not. You could visit your physicians to help you here.

Hope this suffices. If you have any more doubts, please feel free to ask.

dr XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad