Treated for sinus infection and bronchitis. Not cured. Should I consult a specialist?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello - A month ago tomorrow I started coughing. Two weeks ago I finally went into the doctor and she told me I had sinus infection, which I wasnt sure I believed because I felt like it was in my chest. The medicine she prescribed me did not make me feel any better. Last Thursday I went back in for another opinion and this doctor told me I had bronchitis. As of this morning, I am still coughing and my right breast really hurts when I cough and it's going into my back. I have a vacation coming up next week so I want to feel better! Should I be going back into the doctor, or wait awhile and see if my symptoms go away?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have dripping of nasal secretions through your throat?
At what time your cough is worsening? Whether cough is persisting during whole day or more at night time.
Do you have fever/ cough with sputum production/ breathlessness along with cough?

There may be possibility of acute upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) which is mostly viral in origin.
At times viral URTI may cause bronchitis for a short span of time.
Chest pain at breast region may be due to underlying pleuritis/ pneumonia or may be due to muscle ache.
Persistent cough may cause sprain in muscle with muscle ache.

By way of clinical examination, exact cause of cough could be detected.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist / chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram erythrocyte sedimenation rate (ESR), chest x XXXXXXX
You should take cough suppressants (containing codeine, if available), benzanotate, bronchodilators along with complete antibiotic course (if fever is present).
You should also take muscle relaxants for relief of chest pain.
You should avoid cold drinks, sour and oily foods.
You should perform gargles three times in day; lukewarm water with pinch of salt.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
My nasal secretions dripping through my throat comes and goes. Today there is dripping. I feel like my cough is worse in the day. I have been sleeping good at night. I don't believe I have been having any fevers. I have been on medicine for bronchitis for 6 days, do you think I should be feeling better by now? How soon would you recommend going back to the doctor? I just wish this breast and back pain would improve.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 hours later
There is possibility of sinusitis and you should also consult with ENT surgeon and should go for x XXXXXXX PNS for better clarification.
Worsening of cough at night times is suggestive of bronchitis/ asthma.
If your are suffering from bronchitis (can be judged clinically), your condition should be improve with treatment within 6 days.
You should again consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and ENT surgeon simultaneously.
You should take muscle relaxants for relief of breast and backache.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava