What causes persistent cough, fever and chills while on Mucinex and NyQuil?

Excellent

Question
My hard headed husband is not feeling well and I cant get him to the Dr.'s, Two weeks ago he had flu like , symptoms. Coughing, fever and chills. He was taking Mucinex and Nightquil. Then his urine changed color. He says it very dark at times, sometimes reddish and then sometimes its clear. He set up an apt with a urologist on 12/19/17. We flew to SC last Friday and since then he has been experiencing edema in his feet and ankles. ( I did too but mine have gone down) He has a light persistant cough still. I am at the end of my rope.
I am sorry also he said his pants were tight as well around his stomach today. He takes a mild rx for high blood pressure and has been taking it.I haven't gotten a response yet it has been almost 2 hrs.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A possible glomerulonephritis

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but these symptoms raises the suspection of acute nephrotic syndrome or glomerulobephritis which is an inflammatory condition of the kidney ..Common symptoms of nephritic syndrome are:

1) Blood in the urine (urine appears dark, tea-colored, or cloudy)
2)Decreased urine output (little or no urine may be produced)
3) Swelling of the face, eye socket, legs, arms, hands, feet, abdomen, or other areas
4)High blood pressure
Other symptoms that may occur include:Blurred vision,Cough containing mucus , Shortness of breath, General ill feeling (malaise), drowsiness, confusion, aches and pains and headache..
I would recommend that your husband gets a blood test for kidney functions including blood urea nitrogen , creatinine and creatinine clearance together with urine analysis and test for protein content in urine in order to either confirm or exclude glomerulonephritis ..
In the mean while , he should restrict salt content in diet and try to rest as possible .. I hope you find this helpful ..