Took unwanted 72 and vomited. Is it safe to take unwanted 72 frequently?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Question: my wife took unwanted 72 and vomited within 30 minutes. the food was a problem as before this there was no problem when she took about 2 months> the pill worked and there were no vomitting issues.

this was on 7th dec. pls help . should we take the medicine again and now since today is welll within 72 hours.

also she is collitic. is that a problem, can the frequency of once in about 2 months be a problem. she is 45 years.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 minutes later
Yes,this will be a problem.It wont work effective with such frequency.You should have used a long-term contaceptive option. If she has has colitis and vomitting,taking the pill wont help.There wont be effective absorption.A age 45,the cycles may or may not be ovulatory.You need to consider other options apart from the emergency pill.Taking irregular doses of progesterone hormone without a doctor's advice may have untoward complications.In this cycle,you need to wait it out depending on when your last period was.She is in the per-menopausal age group so using barrier contraception will be advisable.For now,wait for the next period,and if its missed,other options can be made available.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
can she not take the medicine today . she doesnt usually vomit but that day we were on a holiday and the food was bad and even i felt like vomitting. what if she takes it now. we dont wnt the hassle of other options as we both are working.

also what are the other options pls after say she misses her first period which is due on 18th dec. she had her last peropd starting on 22nd nov.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 35 minutes later
Taking the pill now may not be helpful.If the incident occurred on dec 7th,that make it day 16 of the cycle. I dont recommend taking the pill so frequently.In case she misses her cycle,wait at least 7-10 days and take a pregnancy test.In case,its positive,then termination can be advised. But let assure you that taking the pill so regularly is contraindicated. Use a condom/iucd.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
agreed maam. we will be more careful but what can be the reason if today is only 48 hours and is recommended to be used within 72 hours.

she does vomit otherwise and her colitis level is 1 ie one.

she eats very very healthy and she gets her periods quite regulalrly and are fairly heavy. also what are the chances of her being pregnant as you have mentioned, it is day 16 of the cycle.

also which termination method would be best in that case. as i said we both are working and leaves are not available. we both have just taken one.

also sorry to bother you but taking this pill , should be effective and you say otherwise. why.

the last 2 times she took over a period of 4 months ie in a gap of 2 months were very very well absorbed.

we are working in 2 different cities and can XXXXXXX only once in 2 months, since we both are career oriented.

my knowledge is low but with watever we have read, it seems it should not be a problem.

alternate--2:- what if we take the pill and in case it does not be effecive, what can be the side effect and can we then not think of the other methods of terminations after the pregnancy test, if she misses her periods.

also what are the chances of her being pregnaant at this age and day 16.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 minutes later
Ovulation occurs between day 13-16 in most people. Thats why this is the fertile period in women. With age ovulation decreases. In your case, 30mins would be inadequate time for complete absorption but at least some of the drug did get absorbed. That means improper dose of the drug was in the system. That won't be effective as a contraceptive. This same hormone is also given, to sustain pregnancy in lower doses. So if i suggest you take the pill again, and she vomited again,then improper dose of the drug would remain in her system the second time also and it won't be effective. So i don't recommend taking it again. Its completely your choice if you want to go ahead. If a pregnancy test does come positive then an immediate ultrasound needs to be done . Accordingly you will need to consult a doctor with the report. Medical or surgical options are available to terminate the pregnancy depending on the gestation. Rest of course is your decision.