Took double dose of pill after missing along with plan B after intercourse. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, i am on my XXXXXXX pill and I am really worried because i missed one pill the eight day but drank the missed and days pill together the next day. To be sure I took a plan b pill about 30 hours after the intercourse. Can I be pregnant? Also Its my 7 day break from pill and I havent gotten my period.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is unlikely that you are pregnant Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I will like to start by saying that next time you miss a pill, do not double, just continue taking the next day single dose (but do not double). Then, given your description, it is unlikely that you are pregnant if you took Plan B pill 30 hours after unprotected sex as it is usually effective when taken for less than 72-120 hours. Now I am curious as to why you decided to take plan B despite you already being on yasmin? Is it because you panicked after missing the pill? Plan B and XXXXXXX are both used for birth control and are hormone based which means taking double dose XXXXXXX plus plan B can actually interfere with your cycle, so could explain why you have a delayed period. My suggestion is that you stay off any pills until you start seeing your menses again and if for the next 1-2 weeks you do not see, then you will have to do a pregnancy test to rule it out (despite being on birth control pills). Talk to a gynecologist if you feel that the problem has become complicated but I do doubt if this is the case. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 minutes later
Thank you very much for the answer. I took plan b because my boyfriend ejaculated inside me the same day i missed it so i missed it. Do you think this changes things?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Does not change much actually Detailed Answer: Thanks for updating XXXXXXX and your welcome. Well it was a wise decision taking the plan b but it is not advisable mixing up hormone based pills all together. Daily birth control pills usually can come with their own side effects especially when overdosed. So in the future, try avoiding such incidence. Just keep a cool mind and allow time to pass for your menses to come back naturally. Do not forget that being stressed out on its own can also cause menstrual irregularity such as delayed period. Just stay positive until your flow can start again. Then you can start the pills all over. Hope this helps further Dr. Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 18 minutes later
Ok thats sounds pretty clear. Ill try to not be too stressed about the situation. I try to be very responsible with my pills it was just a small slip. Ill ask if anything else comes up. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your welcome Detailed Answer: I am glad to have been provided helpful information. Dr. Nsah